Carnegie Library of Washington D.C
The Carnegie Library of Washington D.C. is situated in Mount Vernon Square, Washington, D.C.. Donated to the public by entrepreneur Andrew Carnegie, it was dedicated on January 7, 1903. It was designed by the New York firm of Ackerman & Ross in the style of Beaux-Arts architecture.
It was the first Carnegie library in Washington, D.C. and it was the first public library.
It was used as the central public library for Washington, D.C. for almost 70 years before it became overcrowded. The central library was then moved to Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library. After being shut down for ten years it was renovated as part of University of the District of Columbia. Currently it is used by the Historical Society of Washington, D.C. and Events DC.